Now serving in Mott Haven

Current Address

Updated Address: Mission Home


Elder Ryan Jeffery Maxfield

New York, New York North Mission

700 White Plains Rd. Ste 315

Scarsdale, NY 10583

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dec. 2nd 2009

Hey what's up?So sounds like it quite the eventful week in the world. I actually had heard about the nutty putty thing and also the tiger woods thing. Its been all over newspapers and on tv when we go to restaurants ( that is, the tiger woods story has been all over, the nutty putty thing I heard from a member). Its too bad in both stories. I wondered what the whole story was with tiger though, I was only able to catch bits and pieces. That's lame and hopefully things blow over and it doesn't become a huge thing (although it already kind of has). That's too bad Jana Fagenbush died too. That's always weird to me when someone that we know dies. But you're right, that's life. So thanksgiving was pretty good. We had a traditional dinner with turkey and potatoes and stuff like that. The family that invited us are the Dahls. I really don't know a ton about them, other than he grew up in Layton and served a mission in Chile. They're cool people though. There was also another family from the English ward that came over and ate with us. I don't know their names but they're both from the south, Alabama I think.. So I got to try sweet potato pie for the first time. It was actually pretty good. we hung out over there for a couple hours and then headed home for a nap because it was p day. It was different than Thanksgiving at home obviously because I didn't get to hike up in the hills and try to shoot a deer with my bow like I have done in the past, and I wasn't home with the family, but it was still good. So about Christmas and packages and stuff, well if I don't get transferred before Christmas I'll be in the car still and I will drive it to mission conference. But transfers are on the 16th so I'm not sure if I'll still be in Newburgh at that time. My guess is that I'll still be here though so it won't be a problem, but you never know. I'm excited for the packages! I feel like a homo though, because there is just going to be know way that I can really do anything in return. Hopefully I can write some letters to everyone or something small like that, but I still feel like that's kind of lame. But I'm getting into the Christmas season now, people are putting up christmas lights and stuff and also we've been listening to the David Archuleta Christmas cd haha. I love Christmas music like that, but the stuff on the radio drives me insane but it works out because I can't listen to the radio anyway. It's too bad I can't listen to a little Gary Morris Christmas. Oh well he'll be waiting for me when I get back :) So you were asking if there was anyone I wanted to help out for Christmas this year.. Do you mean back home or here?? Because I'm not really allowed to do anything for anyone here because it's against rules to donate stuff like that and back home I can't really think of anything I would want to do.. I'll think about it and let you know. Maybe for this year spreading "the word" will have to be enough. That's more of a blessing and a better gift than anything anyway right ha ha? You'll have to let me know how your sub for santa activity goes. That's always a fun thing to do.So there's not a whole lot going on with me. I'm still trying to figure out the whole DL thing. The hardest part is just that I'm so young and still slightly green and the sisters in my district are all finishing their missions really soon so they know what they're doing. It's sort of hard to be a leader in that situation. So that letter Pres sent you is a total generic I'm sure, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :) ha ha. I guess I downplayed it a little bit, but at the same time it was a huge factor as to why he called me. It was either me or my comp and obviously he felt like I was the one to do it so that's cool I guess. I still feel a little too inexperienced to be a DL but whatever, it's not to big of a deal and it's a good experience. So about the work, it's slow as can be right now. We don't have any solid investigators and we have a hard time finding people to teach, including members and less actives. We've just been going through the ward list trying to find people to visit to get some referrals. Hopefully it picks up soon. December is going to be just about the same as all the other months. No big projects or anything yet. Hopefully with the Christmas spirit people will be more interested in listening to us. It should be a good month though. I spoke in sacrament meeting for the first time last week. It went alright and it was interesting giving a talk in Spanish. I was basically reading the whole time haha. Well I wish I had some sweet experiences to share with you, but the work is just really slow right now. Well I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you soon! Love you! Thee ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment